Friday, August 17, 2012

I SPY: COPPER

After my post on De Intuïtiefabriek's handcrafted furniture, I went on a big copper hunt. The material is so beautiful; it adds a romantic warmth to stark contemporary spaces and if you allow it to oxidies and patina it will add an old world charm to a traditional space. It looks great in a cool setting, like below in the photo number 5. There are a couple brand new products on this color board below. The Etch Shade by Tom Dixon is one of my favorites; I recently used it in gold at a nightclub and the price is untouchable for the quality and design. Dixon just released this beautiful copper version and I can't wait to see it in person. Another new item is the Real Good Chair from Blu Dot. This laser-cut chair has been around for a while in colorful powder coated steel. The copper plated option is new and I'm sure it ages to a beautiful patina finish over time.

1. Sherman Residence via Dwell
2.Void Light Mini and Etch Shade in Copper by Tom Dixon
3. Grid Cylindrical Vase by Jaime Hayon for Gaia & Gino
4. Copper Mirror by Michael Anastassiades
5. Beautiful bedroom with copper accents pinned by Erin Lepperd
6. Copper Real Good Chair from Blu Dot
7. Brushed Copper Standing Mixer by Kitchenaid


Below is a copper bar top I commissioned for Escorpion Tequila Bar and Cantina, check out the chemical finish that will continue to change and age with time. Part of the bar was already built in the space with a traditional pub edge, so to get this look we inlayed a sheet of copper.




A small piece of advice I like to give to my clients is; don't be afraid to mix and match metals. If you like some of these copper pieces but your accessories are all brushed steel, get in deep with a variety of metals. In interiors or fashion I like mixing metals; if you consciously mix metallics then you don't have to stress out about your door hardware matching every last piece of metal in the room. Throw on a rose gold, a silver and a gold bangle and you have the freedom to use whatever other jewelry or shoes you please. See what I'm talking about below.


houzz

Designer's Portfolio HGTV

Inspired Design

Coach

1 comment:

About Me

My photo
As a lover of all things creative, I've created this blog to inspire and admire crazy good design. I own Kayte Designs, a small interior design firm with a focus in Hospitality, Residential and Office Design. We are based out of Atlanta, GA.

Followers