Monday, July 23, 2012

A LOVE AFFAIR WITH KILIM RUGS

Amber Lewis' Home via The Glitter Guide
I am so drawn to the on-going trend of vibrant Kilim rugs. I must have missed the lesson on Kilim Rugs in History of Interior Design because I've always related the term to the patterns you typically see on Kilim rugs. BUT I looked up the meaning of the word and it actually refers to a traditional method of textile weaving, 

Kilim, a word of Turkish origin, denotes a pile-less textile of many uses produced by one of several flat-weaving techniques that have a common or closely related heritage and are practiced in the geographical area that includes parts of Turkey (Anatolia and Thrace), North Africa, the Balkans, the Caucasus, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Central Asia and China.

Good to know. I also learned that the patterns that are popular in Kilim rugs were historically used as a language of symbols. The medallions and motifs are symbols for things like love, fertility, animals, and a variety of expressions. To see some translations or to learn more about Kilim rugs go to Kilim.comI definitely like the flat-woven style of rugs- you can layer them, typically they are reversible and they're a great option for carpeted rooms. Sadly, I would not recommend a wool Kilim if you have a pet that sheds. I have a wool flat-woven rug from I kea that I'm in love with but minutes after I vacuum it ambient dog hair gravitates to it.


The traditional patterns created in these rug are what really sends me! I pulled together a collection of extra special Kilim rugs and a few pile rugs that have similar motifs. I'm gonna have to exercise some serious self-disipline in order to resist buying one of these babies before I find something new to be obsessed with.



1. Kiara Rug from Anthropologie- $78.00 to $1,298.00
If you like this runner then you should check out the rest of the sizes on Anthro's website; there are a few different patterns and they're all so beautiful. This rug is wool crewelwork with a cotton backing. Crewelwork is another traditional method that's thousands of years old; it's decorative embroidery stitching on wool that follows the outline of a pattern. It's a shame you can't see the detailed work in the online photos.

2. Old Yarn BRKT Rug from Loom
This candy colored number is from Loom's Insitu Collection. Loom is an Australian shop that makes and sources gorgeous rugs from classic to contemporary.

3. Geometric Floor Mat from Urban Outfitters- $69.00
This little Floor Mat is a great pop of color and personality. It's 6"x4" and made of woven recycled plastic. Considering it's plastic and wipes clean, it would probably hold up pretty well outside.

4. Agadir Twists Rug from Anthropologie- $998.00 to $1,998.00  
This rug is similar to the rest in style but opposite in texture. The Agadir Twists is an extra deep pile wool rug and the reviews say it's even brighter in person.

5. Magical Thinking Diamond Medallion Rug from Urban Outfitters- $69.00
The Diamond Medallion Rug is well priced for a 4'x6' woven rug. It's cotton as a posse to wool or synthetic which means it might not be a durable rug but it sure is nice to look at.

6. Andrea Millar's Dining Room- The Design Files Daily
I love the eclectic blend going on in this room! The Sydney home of The Millar Family is full of art, antiques and treasures; it's a perfect fit for a vintage Kilim rug.


2 comments:

  1. I have a love affair with Kilim rugs as well. All of the Kilim rugs which have been posted in your blog is really fantastic to look at. I believe that these Kilim rugs can increase the smartness of a home without any doubt.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
As a lover of all things creative, I've created this blog to inspire and admire crazy good design. I own Kayte Designs, a small interior design firm with a focus in Hospitality, Residential and Office Design. We are based out of Atlanta, GA.

Followers