Wednesday, July 11, 2012

FRONT PORCH- ROUND 2

On Monday I wrote a post about decorating my front porch. Yesterday I stopped by Ballard Designs to pick up my fabulous new rug but I was disappointed when I saw it in person. The Suzanne Kasler Indoor/Outdoor Ikat Rug is unlike the rest of Ballard's indoor/outdoor rugs; it's a thick loop pile as appose to flat woven so it looks and feels like an indoor rug. This rug would be a great fit for someone who's needs a durable, easy to clean rug for inside their home- a pet owners or someone with children. Even though it's 100% poly-acrylic, the rug didn't look like it would hold up very well outside. Our front porch is uncovered and unprotected from the elements. I also wasn't feeling the thick texture, it just wasn't what I had in mind. So I left the store empty handed and went back to the drawing board. 

original concept

I already got the white Ikea chairs, the teal metal table from Cost Plus World Market and the planters from West Elm. It was tempting to grab the West Elm lumbar pillows because the price is so great and they only had a couple left but I knew I would have more rug options available if I wasn't committed to the tan pillows. Below are a few alternatives I came up with that include the white and teal pieces I already have. 


The first look is the most exciting to me; the golden and rusty colors combine very well with the teal and the mix of patterns would add a lot of interest to such a small space. My biggest concern with this option is that the color palette might get old fast, I don't typically lean towards Earthy colors like these. 

Vinhais Garden Pot from Anthropologie, Lumbar Pillow in Raffia Gate Tuscan from Frontgate, Leanne Ikat Rug from Horchow


Our house is painted a light sage green, so when I came across this outdoor rug I thought that the range of blues and greens could tie the porch decor into the exterior of the house. Also, I've always liked the way green pillows and cushions look outdoors against natural greenery.

Beacon Birdhouse from Anthropologie, Trimaran Stripe Pillow from Dash & Albert Company, Pond Stripe Rug from Dash & Albert Company


The final look I pulled together is bold black and white with a pop of teal. This look is similar to the interior of our house. The porch is painted white so I like the idea of a high contrast rug and a simple palette. Also, our back porch furniture is black metal with khaki cushions and aqua blue and khaki pillows, if I wanted to mix things up back there I could switch these pillows out for a new look. I think the thick black stripes and dark pots would catch people's eyes from the street and from the inside of our living room. 

ANGENAM Vase from Ikea, Throw Pillow from Land of Pillows, Diamond Rug from Dash & Albert Rug Company
Now I just need to make a choice...

2 comments:

  1. I love those pillows! There are some incredible pieces here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, check back to see the final look. The pillows just came in and they're very well made.

      Delete

About Me

My photo
As a lover of all things creative, I've created this blog to inspire and admire crazy good design. I own Kayte Designs, a small interior design firm with a focus in Hospitality, Residential and Office Design. We are based out of Atlanta, GA.

Followers